Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Would like to register my disapproval of rule banning mentioning Pride Month in chat, urge you to reconsider.

Hi SirKillian:
I heard that there's a ban on mentioning Pride Month. I understand that the policy was meant to be a preventative measure against a controversial topic causing drama in chat, and I'm not trying to shame you so much as get you to think critically about the effects your policy has in practice, and to urge you politely to consider abandoning it immediately.

I strongly disapprove of your gag rule here; and I do so for the following reasons:

1: You already have rules which corral drama in chat generally, to the extent that it can be corralled on a public server. If someone were to start a big drama bomb on this topic, you could respond to it the same way you would any other type of chat drama. What is different about this topic which justifies the special gag rule?

2: The whole point of Pride Month is about recognizing the systemic disadvantages LBGTQ people face. I understand that you have rules against provocative topics such as politics and religion in general chat; and I am not saying that staff should not stop a discussion that veered into one of those territories. But expressing pride in ones' self, and identifying yourself to other is neither of those topics, and should not be a controversial topic in and of itself. Do you really want to flip the concept of Pride Month on its head and say "well, its Pride Month, so you guys who are LGTBQ better hide and be quiet"?

3: No other Awareness Months have received similar special treatment that I am aware of. Without dipping into politics more than is necessary for a brief example; there wasn't a gag order like this during Black History Month, even though there is significant political turbulence right now on the race issue, and despite the fact that racism is far and away the topic which most frequently causes chat drama incidents. Last February, a few people mentioned it, and for the most part there wasn't any sustained drama. I would wager you the purchase of a Wraith Rank, that if you reversed this policy and just policed any drama caused by this topic normally, you would probably have the same acceptable result you had last February with Black History Month, more or less.

And if you are adamant that LGBTQ rights and Pride Month is somehow more incendiary, or more likely to cause trouble, and that the ban is justified; then I would challenge you in a friendly manner to try and construct a factual justification for that. For example, has there been a spike of warnings or bans for that issue which I just don't see because I'm not Staff?

Thank you for your time, and looking forward to your reply and/or clarification.

-Dalamori

I've had this exact argument with staff in the past before. Not specifically for Pride Month, but mentioning LGBT+ topics in general has been looked down upon for a while.

If some people respond to LGBT mentions with hate, then punish them just as you would punish someone being openly racist in chat. Don't punish the people they are bullying

BlueCaverns

Helper
Staff member
1. Those who bully are punished more often than those who are mentioning it, especially by me. (We have an option to mute for those who're discriminatory).
2. This "gag" wasn't told to us explicitly by SirKillian, and was rather started by me, due to its controversial nature and the arguments that have already sprung from its discussion.
3. I have no problems w/ the LGBT community, and have been enforcing this due to its controversial nature and the arguments that have already sprung from the discussion of Pride Month.
4. You're free to discuss Pride Month in Party Chat, Nation Chat, etc.

Volk

Administrator
Staff member
I've had this exact argument with staff in the past before. Not specifically for Pride Month, but mentioning LGBT+ topics in general has been looked down upon for a while.

If some people respond to LGBT mentions with hate, then punish them just as you would punish someone being openly racist in chat. Don't punish the people they are bullying
In the past a lot of those conversations branched into talking of their sexual preferences and that is inappropriate. We have children on this server and this is a strong borderline we definitely enforce. Orientation is not filtered, sex talk is.