Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Rejected Staff Application Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desu

As of recently, I have applied for staff. After it got denied, I started to ask around and have discovered things about the Staff Application Process.

Topic 1: Denial Letter - After i was denied, I received a letter from the Azertu Staff Team. Basically, it explained that I was denied along with this quote, "The reason for this could be due to multiple different reasons. We listed the most common cases below. This doesn't mean you in specific were denied for said reasons.". Then it continued to list reasons why I might have been denied as a staff position. I think that instead of automatically sending this message... an Admin or Moderator should personally send a message with an explanation that describes why they individually were not accepted. That way, that person can try their best to do better for next time.

Topic 2: Staff Applicant Evaluation Process (Part 1) - I started to ask around some of the staff members and asked them why I was denied, so I could have a better idea of what I could do to be better. I learned that none of the helpers are apart of that process. I think that instead of leaving the decision not only up to the Admins, but the whole staff team. It should be a selective decision between selective people, i.e. having a vote system per applicant.

Topic 3: Staff Applicant Evaluation Process (Part 2) - (this one is shorter) I submitted my Staff Application on Thursday, May 23rd, 2019, it was Denied the same day. I feel that a couple of hours isn't enough time to adequately evaluate if a person is acceptable or unacceptable to server in the staff position.

**All of these are just ideas, I am not shamming the staff team, and I am not mad nor salty about being denied.**

KillaSnow

Grandmaster Contributor
For the first topic, I would agree. It would helped that the player would submitted the application could see the actual reasons for why their application was denied. This may be as simple as one reason like due to the player's record, or even multiple things like their record, playtime, etc.

As for topic two, Moderators and Admins, I believe, are in the process of having a say in whether someone is hired into the staff team. This is due to their usually long-standing on the server, professionalism in most cases, and knowing most of the players. Much of the time, Helpers are still learning the extend of the duties and responsibilities.

For topic three, I would staff applications themselves are dealt with just in a day. To explain, you may have made an application and have had it denied in the same day, but staff are always keeping an eye out on players. This behaviour by players before an application is submitted is taken into account. Some applicants only start to help in chat after they have applied, not before. They would show perhaps not a true sense in wanting to help the server. In addition, if each staff member that deals with applications has given their opinion on the application, there is no reason to have it open since well, all opinions have been made. However, you are able to submit an application 30 days after your previous application was denied.

If you have any questions about what I said, let me know! I'd be happy to answer them. This is personally my answer given from my time on Azertu and being apart of other staff teams elsewhere.

Desu

This may be as simple as one reason like due to the player's record, or even multiple things like their record, playtime, etc.
I quoted a statement you said, I recived information from Killy that they don't look at long term playtime, only recent playtime which seems off. This means that if you have been active constintly for a good while, then take a break for over 2 weeks for any reason, you come back better than ever, apply, then get auto denied due to your absences.

As of other information you stated I agree with. Thanks for your input...

KillaSnow

Grandmaster Contributor
Yeah, I would agree with you there. Kinda makes sense to have someone that has been on and not known for patterns of long absences or anything of that sort.

Desu

Yeah, I would agree with you there. Kinda makes sense to have someone that has been on and not known for patterns of long absences or anything of that sort.
I don't have any patterns of absences I don't think (tbh idk) but I just decided to take a short break from all games to study for finals.

KillaSnow

Grandmaster Contributor
I don't have any patterns of absences I don't think (tbh idk) but I just decided to take a short break from all games to study for finals.
Well that's obviously fine. Even when you're staff, taking a break for classes or even if life hits hard is understandable.

Desu

Well that's obviously fine. Even when you're staff, taking a break for classes or even if life hits hard is understandable.
Yeah ik but still like not being able to join Staff because of it...

Volk

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, if you take a long break (in your case) and immediately apply for staff you should be denied. Give it some time to make sure you fully understand what you are jumping into because after such a long break many things could have changed. We go by recent playtime because overall play time is not as important as what time you have now.

Amanda

Staff member
Just my 2 cents on one part of the post: I disagree when it comes to the idea of the letter telling you exactly where you went wrong. I think that self-reflection is an important step that you have to take when your application gets denied. Being able to sit back and find ways to improve yourself rather than having it spoon fed to you, is a good way to prove that you would make a great staff member! Good luck if you reapply!<3

Edit: I’d also like to add that I believe it’s not a good idea for Helpers to have a say-so in deciding who becomes staff. Mainly because us helpers are still learning and gaining experience to become better! I think that Mods+ should be the ones judging applications because they can make a more accurate decision than a helper could. ?

Last edited:

Desu

Personally, if you take a long break (in your case) and immediately apply for staff you should be denied. Give it some time to make sure you fully understand what you are jumping into because after such a long break many things could have changed. We go by recent playtime because overall play time is not as important as what time you have now.
I see your point... when I came back I was shocked because the prices for a dub of potatoes jumped for 8k to 10k! I realized how much things can change in 2 weeks...

Desu

Just my 2 cents on one part of the post: I disagree when it comes to the idea of the letter telling you exactly where you went wrong. I think that self-reflection is an important step that you have to take when your application gets denied. Being able to sit back and find ways to improve yourself rather than having it spoon fed to you, is a good way to prove that you would make a great staff member! Good luck if you reapply!<3
Maybe... but also having a pre-written message sent to you saying that you could be denied for a variety of reasons can be misleading. When I first received the message I wasn't aware that it was pre-written, and I was super confused while reading it, thinking that I fell into each category. (also thx for giving me luck :love:)

SirKillian

Administrator
Staff member
It's not possible for us to manually write a personal message to every single person that fills in an application due to the number of apps we have to deal with.

This is why we send you the generic message to give you at least some idea of why it might have been denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.