Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are sign warps?
Sign warps are a type of teleportation method commonly used for travel to community areas. These areas may include shops, town spawns, information boards, specific community managed locations (farms, XP grinders, end portals, etc). However, they aren't currently used on Azertu - hopefully this thread may change that!

Why will sign warps benefit the server?
Sign warps ultimately make transportation between community sites a lot easier and efficient, and provide instant access to places such as public farms, grinders, or new town locations for players. "But Khanii, a player can just set a home! It's that easy, we don't need another plugin for this!" You're right, but you're also wrong. Unless you have a premium rank, or reach level 50 in specific jobs (builder, cook, artist), players will only ever have a total of 5 homes set at one time. A player may have to give up one of their set homes for an important place which isn't located in a protected area's main spawn, or ask someone else to teleport them there when needed. For larger more popular places, the constant assistance of teleportation from another player would become tedious.

A warp sign would get rid of the threat of having to delete a possibly important /home, and avoid the assistance of another player to teleport them to the location. Signs could be placed at a town's spawn and locked to avoid grief, and then freely be used by players to warp to an important location without the use of a /home or outpost.

How would this be implemented into the server?
This kind of benefit should be accessible for players who are experienced on the server. The ability to create warps freely could give players the wrong idea, and could encourage less experienced players/trolls to set warps that negatively impact a player, i.e. instant death, grief, general trolling, teasing. This is why sign warps should be placed within a high /ranks perk, possibly Viceroy or King/Queen as they currently do not have any perks. This also works as an incentive for players to grind their jobs/make more money to rank up, rather than just stay at Earl.

Whilst it could be implemented into a job, I feel that every player should be able to have access to it at some point, no matter what job you have or what town you're in. A job should never be a "must have" specifically for one perk in particular, in my opinion.

How would it work for a player?
For the sake of explanation, let's say you have a limit of 3 warps to create. At the location of the warp you wish to set, you could then do /createwarp 1. Then, you could travel to your town spawn, place down a sign and type [warp 1], and underneath it the title of your warp, i.e. "Town Farm". The warp would be created, and you can then start using the warp yourself or let other players use it.

To avoid grief encouragement, signs could be placed under the conditions that the warp is only created in the warp-makers claimed area, or that the warp is currently in an unclaimed area. If the area were to be claimed by someone else for whatever reason, the warp sign would no longer work and your warp location would be undone.

-----

Here's a possible plugin that could be used: https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/signwarper
This suggestion was made with large town owners, community projects, public farms, and new aspiring players in mind.
If you feel that I have missed something crucial in this suggestion, or you'd simply like to add something on, feel free to mention it!

thanks for coming to my TED talk

Chrras

Hi Khanii, I definitely get what you mean, but would the warp only be accessible with a sign, or also with a command? So you would still have to go to a specific location, and then click the sign to teleport to another location? :)

While I like the idea, and it would definitely bring some purpose to ranking up to Viceroy or above, I don't really see a big demand for it. Right now, most of the important places are located at some town, and accessed by /t spawn [town] - and most of the important areas in that town is located close to the town spawn. But this could of course change if this was implemented.

Finally, I'm not really sure why you talk about homes - if I understand this correctly, this isn't really an alternative to homes, since everyone who gets to the teleport sign would be able to use it, where the home only is usable by the player who made it (and accessible at all times with a command) :)

Hi Khanii, I definitely get what you mean, but would the warp only be accessible with a sign, or also with a command? So you would still have to go to a specific location, and then click the sign to teleport to another location? :)
The plugin I linked states you can use both signs and commands. Like I mentioned, setting a warp would only be possible if warp and sign were in your claimed areas, or if the warp location was in a currently unclaimed area, so yes you would still have to go to one location to get to another (like most warps, i.e. /t spawn end).

While I like the idea, and it would definitely bring some purpose to ranking up to Viceroy or above, I don't really see a big demand for it. Right now, most of the important places are located at some town, and accessed by /t spawn [town] - and most of the important areas in that town is located close to the town spawn. But this could of course change if this was implemented.
Multiple users from a mix of both staff and normal players have mentioned that they would like sign warps either in public chat, discord, or in private to me. You're right, important places are indeed located at /t spawns, but there are also occasions where important things are in fact nowhere near the location of the town at all. For instance, my town farm is nowhere near the current location of my town, and I have to teleport users there and make sure they set a home, since both my /t spawn and outpost are occupied.

Finally, I'm not really sure why you talk about homes - if I understand this correctly, this isn't really an alternative to homes, since everyone who gets to the teleport sign would be able to use it, where the home only is usable by the player who made it (and accessible at all times with a command) :)
This was in no way intended as a post for alternate / extra homes. When I talk about homes, I mention that some players may need to delete or overwrite their current sethomes in order to make a new /home for an important place, which a warp would avoid completely, so the player can keep their home whilst still travelling to the location of the warp.

If the server did not have a town dedicated to hosting an end portal (/t spawn end), we would either have to ask someone else to teleport us there/find an end portal ourselves, and then set a home there if we ever need to go to the end for whatever reason. That's one out of 5 sethomes which a regular non-donor non-cook/builder/artist player has used, which would have been the case if not for a t spawn.

The point of the warp signs would be to avoid unneeded setting homes in places which players will frequent.

BlueCaverns

Helper
Staff member
I've only seen talk of this in the server once or twice. In my opinion? The server has done fine without the use of sign warps, and the issue of setting homes at important areas will only be mediated rather than solved. In the case of the old /t spawn farm's Blaze Grinders, some people would set home at the grinder they preferred, and it would seem ridiculous (in my opinion) to make a sign warp for something a short walk away from the /t spawn.

However, I really do like this idea. This would enable towns to be able to use /t outposts for projects that can involve all players rather than the players of the town.

On a server that I previously played on, there were teleport pads. They worked in two methods and were a perk to being a builder:

Level 50 Builders would get "Elevators." This was a gold or iron pressure plate on top of a note block. In order for the elevator to work, it had to be placed on the same Y axis as another elevator pad. Crouching allowed you to go down a level and jumping allowed you to go up.

Level 75 Builders would get "Teleport Pads." These were similar to the elevators but had no restriction to the Y axis. You could put one pad in one place and then link it to a pad in another place.

Since these were both builder perks, builders would make good coin selling these to folks that did not have the ability but wanted to deploy these systems in to their builds.

I think this would be a great idea especially for town use, for example Zaire has a few outposts that we would love to make public but at the moment they are only available to town residents and i know many towns have similar setups. Another use would be to optimize town space and design, currently many towns keep their markets and important buildings near the spawn of the town in order to make the walk short. If sign warps were implemented towns could spread out more, vertical as well. In Zaire we would make sign warps to not only our outposts but to museums, farms, and other important Buildings. Perhaps even homesteads a long way from the town center. Sign warps would allow allow for Flying cities to be more practical without hundreds of bridges. Underwater cities without Dozens of tunnels. The possibilities for creativity and accessibility are greatly increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.