Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Server Reset Deba.. i mean Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desu

and I would think you would keep your ranks you bought from the store lol just resetting the map and everyones inventory is what should be reset.
It's not just our inventory or map builds, it is all of the time and effort put into our jobs. Having to restart our jobs from the very bottom and working our way up will be some what of a challenge and most players probably don't want to have to go through it again.

I am neither for nor against a server reset, it has its merits but also people are still playing and happy with the server. the hard part would be dealing with regular players quitting over it though, but I think the server would be just fine as most regulars would stay and new players would join. However taking away players progress towards ranks which is a driving factor for a lot of players progression would likely be a bad idea.

My whole point is, its a video game lol. If you have EVER played a bigger Minecraft server, they reset every few months or so. Keeps the server flowing with new economy and player base. It literally keeps you guys growing lol.....
The other server I play on didnt do a reset until 1.13 came out (before that it just updated when spigot did)...and it was discussed civilly before hand so everyone knew what to expect

IF there is any reset to come forth -- wild or resource to 1.13/1.14 you could implement another world dedicated to those changes such as u do a command to get to that world as if some people are so worried about such things above then the new world would be a command to get to and not have to worry about said changes- just an opinion/option :) (to be clear I have not read up on all of the above discussions this is just my intake on previous experiences

with that said, if you did this there would be a complete reset on inventory and yes you'd have to start over but for the players who would not want too then they can stay where they are. ender chest their stuff over and possibly keep their balance to switch to that command to the new world.

Last edited:

Desu

IF there is any reset to come forth -- wild or resource to 1.13/1.14 you could implement another world dedicated to those changes such as u do a command to get to that world as if some people are so worried about such things above then the new world would be a command to get to and not have to worry about said changes- just an opinion/option :) (to be clear I have not read up on all of the above discussions this is just my intake on previous experiences

with that said, if you did this there would be a complete reset on inventory and yes you'd have to start over but for the players who would not want too then they can stay where they are. ender chest their stuff over and possibly keep their balance to switch to that command to the new world.
SirK decided not to do this because it would divide the player base. He just doesn't think that that would be the answer.

Desu

What if we can find a way to find the same exact seed for our world in a 1.13 or 14 form, then we can sorta copy the world over? It sounds like a stretch though...

Desu

What if we can find a way to find the same exact seed for our world in a 1.13 or 14 form, then we can sorta copy the world over? It sounds like a stretch though...
O well there are the new biomes.... I guess not then.

Well I think that the best solution is that we copy our main world over to a 1.13 or 14 server and the resource world will be the only world with the "new biomes" which are basically different versions of an ocean" That way, the "real" world will be able to grow and spawn in the new things, but we get to keep all of our stuff.

KillaSnow

Grandmaster Contributor
O well there are the new biomes.... I guess not then.

Well I think that the best solution is that we copy our main world over to a 1.13 or 14 server and the resource world will be the only world with the "new biomes" which are basically different versions of an ocean"
Can always edit your post :p

Nonetheless, I think numerous people would enjoy building in the new biomes and making new bases within them. But that has also be discussed already in this thread.:D

So, I'm not sure I'm even allowed to say this, but why can't the server be updated while leaving everything ( player town, economy, money, inventory, ranks, jobs, etc) intact? I ask this because I know another server has done exactly this. I am against a server reset personally.. putting in a lot of time and real money into ranks and gear is not something I would do if I know there is going to be a server reset.

KillaSnow

Grandmaster Contributor
So, I'm not sure I'm even allowed to say this, but why can't the server be updated while leaving everything ( player town, economy, money, inventory, ranks, jobs, etc) intact? I ask this because I know another server has done exactly this. I am against a server reset personally.. putting in a lot of time and real money into ranks and gear is not something I would do if I know there is going to be a server reset.
That can be answered in Killian's post on the thread which you can view by click here.

I dont want an Reset, but this must be happen after some time. but at least i hope that we could keep our player data too (levels, jobs, mcmmo, inventory etc)

i know im late to the band waggon on this one, but this conversation recently popped up, so i scoured the site to see if any mention had been made, and poof, its here. i read every single comment, and to be honest, i completely and 100% agree with what Sirk said. if your going to do a server reset, you do it properly. you dont do a half a job bob job about it, doing a reset would allow the arrival of way more new features, and as Sirk said, the relics that he wants to completely redo. i personally think that doing a complete reset, wiping balances, pvs, land, etc would be a great idea, and would be the most beneficial way to get the most out of a reset. Sirk wants to redo the relic system, but if people were to carry items over from the current world, a LOT of current relics would make it over, and therefore would stop Sirk from redoing the relic system. theres a lot of pro's and con's to a reset but i fully 100% agree with Sirk

Desu

i know im late to the band waggon on this one, but this conversation recently popped up, so i scoured the site to see if any mention had been made, and poof, its here. i read every single comment, and to be honest, i completely and 100% agree with what Sirk said. if your going to do a server reset, you do it properly. you dont do a half a job bob job about it, doing a reset would allow the arrival of way more new features, and as Sirk said, the relics that he wants to completely redo. i personally think that doing a complete reset, wiping balances, pvs, land, etc would be a great idea, and would be the most beneficial way to get the most out of a reset. Sirk wants to redo the relic system, but if people were to carry items over from the current world, a LOT of current relics would make it over, and therefore would stop Sirk from redoing the relic system. theres a lot of pro's and con's to a reset but i fully 100% agree with Sirk
SirK said that there will be no reset as of right now.

Also I spent a little less than a month trying to level up my manticore hoe and others have done the same with different achievements and the community does not want to loose their hard work progress. The predicted outcome for a reset is that most players will leave the server.

SirK said that there will be no reset as of right now.

Also I spent a little less than a month trying to level up my manticore hoe and others have done the same with different achievements and the community does not want to loose their hard work progress. The predicted outcome for a reset is that most players will leave the server.
That may be the case, but like every other server, it cant stay 1.12.2 forever. a reset is inevitable, no matter what. be it now, or a year later. its going to happen some day. if it doesnt change we will still lose players either way

Desu

That may be the case, but like every other server, it cant stay 1.12.2 forever. a reset is inevitable, no matter what. be it now, or a year later. its going to happen some day. if it doesnt change we will still lose players either way
Yeah... but we shouldn't be foucused or worried about this happening, we should just have fun on our current server so that we can get the most out of it before it gets reset!:)

Someone online said something about having only unclaimed chunks update to the new world and claimed chunks stay the same. none of knew if that's actually possible or not, but if it is it's an idea. im interested in seeing the new villages in 1.14

players will quit? to start over again on another server where they have nothing at all anyways? Alright, I don't mind.

IF and when a reset happens it would be done properly. and i really don't think it should even be discussed right now and i surely do not agree with this thread. Its confusing players, its creating drama and its ... useless...
I think where people are getting worried, even though the reset may never happen is the fear of what you described as the "proper" way to reset.

Also calling any discussion on serious players opinions of how they would want a potentially game changing/deleting event to occur should never be called "useless"

Also worth noting is the casual disregard of potential long time players leaving. They may quit because as you state they are on the exact same playing field in a new server as the reset one. There is now much less incentive to stay as the only thing to lose would be the close knit communities that MIGHT transfer to the new server, or they may as a group leave to a new one.

Just my take on it. As a newer player I can really admire the dedication and care for the server by majority of the playerbase and staff, and would like to stay in this server for a long time to come.

Last edited:
It'd be possible, although you'd end up with weird chunk errors like back in the beta days.

Might I summarize some of the points made?
1. "Can we move our builds over?"
Theoretically yes, but that comes with many issues such as players placing blocks to then break and sell inflating the early economy, inactive players coming back not being able to have their builds moved over, the shear volume of builds that would need to be moved would make it to be quite a tedious task.
Assuming you don't care about the early economy and go through all the effort of moving the builds, people are still going to want to include new stuff in their builds, having the option for those that don't is the equivalent of holding onto the past.
Saving the builds into a local file which can then be sent to the creator for posterity seems like a better compromise.

2. "Can we save our ranks, some items and jobs stats?"
Again, technically you can. You could even remove relics if you needed to and could better yet offer discounts/trade-ins of old relics that would be disabled for new ones so people don't feel like they've been scammed.
There is still the issue of holding onto the past and the early economy going really weird.
If you don't care about the economy, then let's assume everyone keeps their ranks, jobs, some items and their balance.
Theoretically, nothing would change. Things would take a little bit to settle down but we'd all find our place again.
If you do care and everything was totally reset then aside from everyone needing to grind again it'd be essentially the same still as those who grinded to where they are now would do so again.
The difference being you'd have lost a thousand or so players..

3. "What about the economy? It needs a fresh start."
I have.. many feelings about the economy based around what happened to /t spawn z. But I'll refrain from that for now.
As mentioned Several times, if you need to reset the economy then something is wrong, you already have massive money sinks in the form of ranks, town/nation upkeep costs are to a lesser degree also money sinks.
The economy is driven by supply and demand supposedly, money goes in via jobs and money goes out via ranks.
Money is exchanged, changing hands in the form of goods. The price of which varies depending on supply and demand.
Something to note also however is that money goes out when players go inactive, it could come back but it may not.
A reset that trims off inactive players would relieve this problem for now but it'd come back again.
It'd come back Very soon if you don't reset ranks, balance and items as quite a number of people won't want to start again, especially inactive players. Thus you have an Enormous amount of "Potential" money that we all know is gone.
Resetting everything would relieve that problem, if people don't want to start over then they won't be a burden upon the server and it's economy.

4. "How do we know another reset won't happen in another year?"
A fair point, what if, say in 1.16 or 1.20 (However many versions later) the game gets super optimized, but renders it incompatible with previous worlds. Would we do a reset for that too?
Resetting servers is a problem you're going to face time and time again, eventually yes you will need to do a reset.
There is one vanilla server which has never done a reset since the beginning supposedly, but there's a reason why you only hear of one server doing that, it's because resets are important. Without them servers Do die.
With every reset though you carry the risk that you did it too soon and end up killing it rather than curing it.
That is the discussion that should be had, When. As we know that there isn't really a good enough way to keep everyone happy if we also keep just about anything.

But, who knows. Perhaps we can find a compromise that would work out, never limit your options.
Just because You don't believe it's possible at the moment doesn't mean it isn't.

tl;dr - (People who are concerned about a reset, just read this part. Seriously)
A reset almost certainly won't happen at least for six months, first and foremost all the plugins need to update,
secondly the shear amount of controversy over it will push it further away, thirdly there needs to be a stable and optimized version (As the game gets older and older that's harder to do with every update), fourthly this is all just a discussion about something that will need to eventually happen because trying to discuss it when the server is fifteen versions behind the latest one isn't the best idea.. and finally, when a reset does come, chances are the vast majority of the server will be expecting/demanding one. Were not really anywhere near that point yet.

So enjoy the time you have now, the memories you're forming will be with you for many years to come.
You grind because you want to get to whatever goal that is within your grasp in the very near future, some goals you won't achieve, that's a fact of life. 98% of the player base won't get to Emperor, but does that stop anyone from trying?

Either a "Hard-Reset" or a "Soft-Reset", 1.14 has only just come out, at least give it a few months before going crazy over it.

Chrras

Known Member
Well, this thread was started 3 months ago, and Killian already stated that a reset would not happen in the near future. While it's important to have a discussion about this, I honestly think we should rest this thread for a bit - the same arguments (for either side) is being used over and over again, and further responses doesn't really bring more light on the subject :)

SirKillian

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this thread was started 3 months ago, and Killian already stated that a reset would not happen in the near future. While it's important to have a discussion about this, I honestly think we should rest this thread for a bit - the same arguments (for either side) is being used over and over again, and further responses doesn't really bring more light on the subject :)
Agreed. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.