Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!
The Issue :

Currently there’s a big issue on Azertu revolving around the usage of blaze rods as the main fuel source for all jobs that require smelting of items to earn money and exp.

Why is this a Problem :

Azertu’s market revolves around players depending on other players for their items to succeed on the server, but more importantly jobs relying on other jobs. Whether it’s to gain money, level up a job, to rank up or a combination of the 3. This key relationship between jobs and players is what makes the server great.

For the past couple of months now the server has been heavily saturated with blaze rods. Meaning that people who need fuel can pay anything for them and they will always get sold to no matter the price. I have seen anywhere from less than $0.10/blaze rod up until $6.00/blaze rod and this is the only item server where the market value is so sporadic due to the sheer quantity of items.

Currently 2 jobs are being negatively impacted by this fuel crave for blaze rods and many are benefiting from it. The 2 jobs being affected negatively is the miner and lumberjack job. Currently Miner should and does have a very big affect on the market as they produce stone/cobble for builders, iron/gold/diamond ore for blacksmiths, lapis for enchanting and lastly redstone for semi auto farms or redstone gizmos. Yet the most common and most abundant ore “Coal” is hardly being bought by Blacksmiths/Cooks/Artists due to blaze rods. Which takes away a large amount of profit from miners. Lumberjacks are also being negatively impacted due to them being able to craft charcoal into coal blocks, which again no one is buying because of blaze rods. This makes lumberjack a one sided job, where they’re are just cutting down trees/placing saplings and very rarely suppling the market with apples for cooks and wood for builders. When they should also be smelting the their mass amounts of wood that they have into charcoal and then that charcoal into coal blocks to supply the many Blacksmiths/Cooks/Artists on the server with a very dependable and long lasting fuel source.

The servers large quantity of blaze rods aren’t even being supplied by hunters, but more by people who are grinding exp (as blazes are the best exp source in the game for the sheer quantity of them from spawners) and blaze rods being byproduct of that and also by people who just want quick cash, but instead of grinding their jobs like they should be, they’re grinding for blaze rods to sell to Blacksmiths/Cooks/Artists for a large sum of cash. Which isn’t how the servers economy was intended to work.

Most people would disagree with this post saying that blaze rods should stay where they’re at and should have nothing changed, but the majority of the people saying that are the very people buying them.

Solutions :

1) Nerf the fuel efficiency of blaze rods from 12 items/rod to a lower number of 3-4 items/rod (or even lower).

2) Nerf how many blaze rods blazes drop to a set number of 1-2 rods per blaze kill. Similar to shells dropped by a shulker when killed by a player.

3) Remove the fact that blazes spawned from blaze spawners drop rods when being killed. Which means that only naturally spawned blazes will drop blaze rods.

I’m interested to see everyone’s opinions about this in the comments below as this is something I’m very passionate about. Please remember to support your fellow Lumberjack and Miners on the server.

Last edited:
Large sum of cash? A dubs worth about 5.4k which is a lot of effort for not much... as a cook, i'd more likely buy coal if it were about the price of the blaze rods and there was a supply of it around (which there doesn't seem to be unless you are gunna sell it?). As for the solutions, personally none of those would work as it would drastically inflate the market... maybe dropping the spawn rate out of spawners might work but the other 3 i couldnt see helping...

Large sum of cash? A dubs worth about 5.4k which is a lot of effort for not much... as a cook, i'd more likely buy coal if it were about the price of the blaze rods and there was a supply of it around (which there doesn't seem to be unless you are gunna sell it?). As for the solutions, personally none of those would work as it would drastically inflate the market... maybe dropping the spawn rate out of spawners might work but the other 3 i couldnt see helping...
Inflating the market price for blaze rods was the point, so that people would buy less blaze rods and buy more coal blocks. Although my changes were just random numbers and would need to be tested out beforehand to see the actual effect.

Also if you wanted to pay around the same amount for coal blocks as you would pay for blaze rods in the current market, you’re looking at $600/stack which is a long way away from the servers current price of 2k per stack of coal blocks.

12 x 3,456 = 41,472 items smelted
41,472 / 72 (# of items a coal block can smelt) = 576 coal blocks or 9 stacks total.
5.4k / 9 = $600
Yes I know your estimate is just an estimate, but that’s incredibly cheap for a stack of coal blocks.

Chrras

I am not sure you understand how the market works, Nate. The low price of blaze rods are because people prefer coal blocks (longer burn time = fewer refills) - so the price is only set this low because not a lot a people wants to buy blaze rods, compared to the vast supply of blaze rods :)

I am currently buying blaze rods for $30 a stack, and selling for $60 a stack. My chests are almost always full.

I am currently buying coal blocks for $1200 a stack, and selling for $1800 a stack. My chest empties out pretty quickly

I am not sure you understand how the market works, Nate. The low price of blaze rods are because people prefer coal blocks (longer burn time = fewer refills) - so the price is only set this low because not a lot a people wants to buy blaze rods, compared to the vast supply of blaze rods :)
The low price of blaze rods are not because people don't want to buy them, its because of the quantity that are available and how easy they are to obtain due to the vast number of blaze grinders/exp farms.

People also do not prefer Coal Blocks over Blaze Rods. If you go and ask any active high ranked blacksmith/cook/artist and what fuel source they use, 9/10 of the time they will say blaze rods because they're 1) cheap 2) easy to obtain 3) people can supply them quickly. Keep in mind some people will say they use coal blocks only because they're miners and or lumberjacks as well and can supply themselves.

I am currently buying blaze rods for $30 a stack and selling for $60 a stack. My chests are almost always full.
Your chests are always full due to the large quantity in the market. There is a huge excess of blaze rods in the market which leads to people farming more blaze rods than the market can actually handle/hold.

I am currently buying coal blocks for $1200 a stack, and selling for $1800 a stack. My chest empties out pretty quickly
This could happen for a variety of reasons and shouldn't affect this discussion.

ex) people are buying your coal blocks for cheaper and then reselling to someone who buys for 2k/stack as a unintended profit shop. The quantity of coal blocks that people sell to you isn't much due to your price being so low.

Chrras

The low price of blaze rods are not because people don't want to buy them, its because of the quantity that are available and how easy they are to obtain due to the vast number of blaze grinders/exp farms.
It's always a question about supply and demand - so yes, it's also because people don't want to buy them (or in other words, not enough people want to buy them). Sure, if there was a smaller supply and the same demand, the price would go up.

People also do not prefer Coal Blocks over Blaze Rods. If you go and ask any active high ranked blacksmith/cook/artist and what fuel source they use, 9/10 of the time they will say blaze rods because they're 1) cheap 2) easy to obtain 3) people can supply them quickly. Keep in mind some people will say they use coal blocks only because they're miners and or lumberjacks as well and can supply themselves.
Coal blocks are as expensive as they are because people are willing to pay that much. If what you are saying are true, why would they go for that much more than blaze rods? And why would blaze rods not go for more?

Sure, a lot of people use blaze rods, but there are also many people, at least in my experience, that use coal for smelting/cooking (and not necessarily miners).

If you change the number of items a blaze rod can smelt, coal is just gonna get more expensive, and blaze rods far cheaper. Also, I am not really sure that most lumberjacks would be willing to smelt wood to charcoal, then craft coal blocks and ultimately sell them. Maybe I am wrong, but that's not how I see that job.

Your chests are always full due to the large quantity in the market. There is a huge excess of blaze rods in the market which leads to people farming more blaze rods than the market can actually handle/hold.

This could happen for a variety of reasons and shouldn't affect this discussion.

ex) people are buying your coal blocks for cheaper and then reselling to someone who buys for 2k/stack as a unintended profit shop. The quantity of coal blocks that people sell to you isn't much due to your price being so low.
I don't think people farm blaze rods for selling them. There is so little profit in that - so the supply of blaze rods will not be significantly lower if you nerf them. However, the price of coal blocks would go up, which mean that some people still would use blaze rods simply because using coal would be more expensive.

Whenever people resell, it's not damaging the market, it is benefiting it. Reselling helps make the market flow - if we try to imagine reselling somehow being disabled, the economy would probably be a lot less stable. And there is still many people that sell to me, so I wouldn't say my price is too low.

Just to recap:
The reason people use blaze rods right now are because they are so cheap compared to using coal blocks (and some people still use coal blocks). If you nerf blaze rods, coal blocks will be more expensive, while the nerfed blaze rods (if say, they only smelt 4 items each) will be cheaper. And then some people would still use blaze rods. So in short, I am not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish with this, but unless it is done in a clever way, the market will adjust itself

It's always a question about supply and demand - so yes, it's also because people don't want to buy them (or in other words, not enough people want to buy them). Sure, if there was a smaller supply and the same demand, the price would go up.
I mean the reason is not that people dont want to buy blaze rods because they do and they buy a lot. The problem is that there is an excess of blazerods with so many spawners and farms producing a load of blazerods, lowering the prices so much that it makes coal less appealing pricewise. Yeah it is supply-demand but the problem here isnt demand as theres a lot, its supply. A modification on the ammount of blazerods dropped would be useful as Nate said. Maybe modifying the solution 3 he gave this could be solved: Not removing blazerods from being dropped by spawner blazes but lowering the chance of getting blaze rods by a lot.

SirKillian

Administrator
Staff member
On average roughly 61484 items get smelted in furnaces every hour.

I think it's safe to say there is not really a need to adjust fuel efficiency.