Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.
A /commands command which states the basic essentials commands such as /sethome <name>, /balance, /tpa, etc, since I see questions about those asked in chat a lot. Other basic commands can be added on that list that aren't listed at /warp tutorial

Last edited:

Redux

Helper
Staff member
People just need to not rush through spawn and actually read the the info given to them from the start. Not to mention we already have "other commands" in the help menu so you can probably just add onto it instead of making an entirely new command.

/warp tutorial doesn't mention any of those commands. I don't think 80% of the players read the /help maybe in their first few weeks of playing since its a lot of info. Not to mention some people including me, can't see most of the text in /help due to it being too long, with the GUI scaling being auto. I believe essentialsx has a built in command creator to spit out text in chat, which isn't too hard to do. it would be a nice command to throw at players who are new to minecraft servers or haven't played in a while

Attachments

Redux

Helper
Staff member
I think giving the info through text would be pretty convenient. But then again, people should really be reading through that help menu. Adding a new command or not, most of these common questions will continue to be asked because people simply glance over the help menu (or don't look at it at all). Hopefully something like this can minimize the amount of repetitive questions that are asked everyday

If you play in 1.12.2 you should be able to set the GUI to normal. You should also be able to change it by disabling auto somehow. I haven't played much on the later versions, but I can tell that I was able to change it when I had it.

KillaSnow

Grandmaster Contributor
/warp tutorial doesn't mention any of those commands. I don't think 80% of the players read the /help maybe in their first few weeks of playing since its a lot of info. Not to mention some people including me, can't see most of the text in /help due to it being too long, with the GUI scaling being auto. I believe essentialsx has a built in command creator to spit out text in chat, which isn't too hard to do. it would be a nice command to throw at players who are new to minecraft servers or haven't played in a while
Also, to point out, you acknowledge /help being there, but you want something to list off basic stuff. But that's just asking for another /help, from my perspective. I understand it is a lot of information, but it's info that you'll need if you really want to play on the server and it's useful. It gives you the commands you need for whether you are just starting out, or you've been here a while and you do not remember how to do something. However adding something to the server just to spit it in chat when the info is already readily and easily available does not seem like a reasonable option.

However, this is my opinion on it and I figured I'd let it be known from my perspective, but I do see where you're coming from (A lot of info in /help).

True, but from my experience, most people don't read any type of long text regarding the server until they've been playing for a few weeks or months even. It can also be seen as unreasonable for a new player to be expected to spend time and read all the info in /help without being invested on the server or even knowing if they're going to stay. So a /commands telling them the basic essentials/other commands they can do would help them to get started quickly.

Just seeing it from a new player's perspective that I think they would appreciate

Don't think new players would bother to read a book full of text either

Redux

Helper
Staff member
One thing I do find strange is that /help and /faq are the same command. Maybe /faq can just be a easier/faster method of looking at the "other commands" section of /help. Also, talking from experience does not mean it applies to everyone. People DO read /help and ask pretty good questions from time to time. That'l all part of the learning curve when playing a game that is laid out to be like an rpg.

Yeah that can work too. I prefer having it in chat, so players can type out the command while they're looking at it, rather than trying to remember it from the GUI.

Don't think new players would bother to read a book full of text either
What's the point of a whole new command then?
For me that will be a wall of text too, and the plug-ins have help commands too (ie. /t help, /rs, and we even have an example of a chest shop in /market). It will just be yet another /help|faq command. I also think they're better off asking in chat. I get that not all commands are there, but it's the most basic ones to get started with.

No, it wouldn't be the same wall of text, because the command wouldn't be trying to reiterate all of the things that are in /help, as that post SirSalad mentioned. Just the basic commands that aren't listed anywhere else, which would be mainly essentials commands. As Euie mentioned in that post, she didn't even know a basic essential command after playing for 5 months. Essentials is the name of the plugin that does the /bal, /tpa, /home, btw.

For example, if a player asks in chat regarding a basic command, they can either be answered or ignored (which does happen frequently). A person may reply also saying to check out /help, which doesn't help since too much text and it doesn't say where to find these "other commands" either.

There could be a in game chat broadcast about the /commands command, so they would see and learn the new commands themselves, rather than asking a question about a basic command each time and potentially getting ignored. Here's a list of commands for example:

Attachments

Last edited:
What if YOU made the book and then SirK could have it included as part of the /kit starter ?

Just spitballing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.