Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Clearing the Data of Noobs

SirSalad

I'd like to preface this thread with: I'm sure that this matter has been discussed on the server before, but I don't think it's been brought up on the Suggestions page. If it has please feel free to correct me.

As many of you know, Azertu is one of the top Towny servers there is and it's seemed that way for the past year. (Good job, Sirk) And we get a plethora of new players each and every day. At some point, this surely adds up to thousands. What if we just got rid of some of those players which have no town, $<100, and no jobs? I think that there's only an advantage to doing so.

What if you’re like Naki and your balance is always at $50

Chrras

Yeah, its definitely a good idea, and it has been discussed before. As I am writing this, there are 96,728 registered users on Azertu, and it's plain to see than only a fraction of those actively play.

So I'd definitely suggest this as well, especially as long as Azertu still gets many new players due to broad ads.

What’s the benefit of doing this though?

Also I’m pretty sure Sirk rather hit 100k registered users before even considering resetting inactive player data.

I think it has its ups and downs. If we were to remove/reset "noobs" that weren't active for a few months, then it would only be fair to remove/reset users that aren't active for a few months, regardless of their rank, balance, town status or anything. yeah, fair enough a lot of the players join and have a look around, then leave and never come back, or even join to spam something random, such as a server IP then they get muted, leave and then never come back... But if you were to reset/remove the players, it's discrimination kinda because there are loads of players that had like 2 million in their bank, created a town and deposited all their money into the town, so that the town would stay active. I know at least 5 people who have done that, and I've only been a member for slightly over a month.
Yes, I personally think it's a good idea, but in reality, I don't think it would be particularly fair.

Chrras

I think it has its ups and downs. If we were to remove/reset "noobs" that weren't active for a few months, then it would only be fair to remove/reset users that aren't active for a few months, regardless of their rank, balance, town status or anything. yeah, fair enough a lot of the players join and have a look around, then leave and never come back, or even join to spam something random, such as a server IP then they get muted, leave and then never come back... But if you were to reset/remove the players, it's discrimination kinda because there are loads of players that had like 2 million in their bank, created a town and deposited all their money into the town, so that the town would stay active. I know at least 5 people who have done that, and I've only been a member for slightly over a month.
Yes, I personally think it's a good idea, but in reality, I don't think it would be particularly fair.
As Salad said earlier, it would only delete a user if all the following criteria are met:
- The user has been inactive for a couple of months
- The user has a balance of $100 or below
- The user is not member of a town
- The user has no jobs

If these criteria is met, I don't think any users would come back in a few months and be mad about it. Furthermore, it would probably also be a nice idea to check if the user is still a peasant, or if they ranked up, and thus only remove peasants. You could make the balance amount a bit higher, maybe $1000, which would make sure someone not just gained a bit of money, but even as is, I think this will effectively remove more than 50k users. Most people would get surprised to how many actually joins Azertu because of broad ads.

I still don’t see the point of doing this though and it seems like a waste of time for the staff members on the server.

Chrras

I still don’t see the point of doing this though and it seems like a waste of time for the staff members on the server.
Its not very optimal to have data of 100k users stored. Even though the data size for one user might be small, it quickly adds up. That also means that loading times of specific commands would be longer. Loading /baltop usually took +10 seconds (today it loaded more quickly, so I guess SirK has optimized something, dunno what though). And it's not only Economy, I suspect that also plugins like CoreProtect, mcMMO, Jobs, and tons of other plugins that uses user data would be hindered when it has to load a lot of data. Furthermore, storage space also costs money.

I am no expert on the matter, but removing obsolete data should always be a benefit. Nonetheless, I think the thread was mainly meant as a suggestion for SirK, he should be the one that decides it.

SirSalad

I completely agree with Chrras and I'd like to add on to it. I doubt this would be a "waste of time for the staff members" as this seems to be something that could be done with a simple purge. I'm also no expert on back-end management, but I think that if needs be, certain things deleted can also be rolled back to an extent. I also think this could be done in possibly a few hours of server downtime.

SirSalad

What’s the benefit of doing this though?

Also I’m pretty sure Sirk rather hit 100k registered users before even considering resetting inactive player data.
Well, it happened.

Volk

Administrator
Staff member
I mean unless the benefits outweigh the effort idk if it'll happen

SirSalad

I found this suggestion a while back, and it shares similar ideas when it comes to resource management for larger things like /baltop. I think that it would be good to bring this suggestion and topic back into circulation with the current discussion here.

Edit: I also found this suggestion and I think that it also shares similar values when it comes to deleting old, inactive noobs.

Last edited: