Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Collector_

So, the Christmas event ended. Despite some issues, I'd say it was pretty fun. As I have done in the past, I'd like to make a feedback thread, for the event, to give SirK an idea of what he may do in the future to make even better events. Here's a little format you can follow if you want to say what you want to say.
1. What did you like about the event?
2. What did you not like about the event?
3. What would you change/like to see in future events?
I'll go first.
What did I like about the event?
I think that over all, the event was pretty good. It was fun, and had a good concept. I also really liked how the gifts were numbered. That was a fantastic idea, and made for some interesting collectibles. Most of the prizes weren't all that good, but the firework bow is absolutely amazing. So much fun to use, pretty much the 2nd best relic in the game (aside from the rocket longbow ;). I also liked that you could get gifts from job actions of jobs you don't have (otherwise so many jobs would have been quit, it would have been terrible)
What did I not like?
As you probably know, I (as well as quite a few others) complained. A lot. My biggest problem with the event was that it was entirely luck based. Getting the gifts wasn't so bad (with luck), because if you grinded for long enough, you eventually got one, and the longer you did, the more you get. After so long, you generally got the gifts fairly statically. You may go 10 hours without getting a gift, but then you might get 3 within 10 minutes directly after. I had no problem with getting the gifts. BUT there was a serious issue with the rewards being luck-based. almost every single santa item was gotten within someone's first 10 gifts opened, whereas other people (me) opened well over 200 gifts without getting anything at all. Now this makes sense, statistically, a majority of the gifts are opened by people that get less than 15 during the event. But this just feels wrong, that the people that actually work for the rewards aren't getting them, and the people that don't do. I saw probably 8 santa items get found within people's first 5 crates, and only a couple by people that opened more than 20 or so. Just doesn't seem right.
As well as that, for the entire first half of the event, the santa item drop rates were broken (no one could get them). So to "fix" this, sirk drops the full complete collection in spawn. This is totally unfair for all the people that weren't online. I'd say a better option would have been to make the drop rates 2, 3, or even up to 5% for the rest of the event. Also it would have been good to maybe test it a bit more in depth before opening the event, and definitely release the event post on the forums first.
The santa items are really bad for how rare that they are. They have no practical use at all. And they are so rare, that a few of the items are one-of-a-kind, which basically means that the only way to get them is to spend around 1.5m each, keep in mind that there are 11 of them!!! in order to get the complete collection! And on top of that, since some of the items are unique, really only one person can have the full set, and even that is unlikely to happen (I still need the hecking hoe).
I also don't like how unbalanced the methods of getting gifts were. If you had certain jobs, there was no way you were making money during this event. blacksmith, artist and cook were immediately out, herdsman is really slow, and always will be, builder is meh, farmer is meh. and lumberjack got nerfed really bad for gifts. basically the only good way of getting gifts was from either mining, mining in the nether, mining snow, or killing spawner mobs. So if you weren't a hunter, hellworker, or miner, you really couldn't make money while getting gifts. It less promoted working on jobs and more focused on these 4 things. And of course, these are probably some of the most mind-numbingly boring things to ever exist in minecraft. No chance of scenery, no form of entertainment, no variety. Just clicking your pick or your sword for litterally hundreds of hours. To maybe get one of the 12 rewards!!! I haven't really brought this up before, but in order to get all the collectibles, you have to spend such a significant amount of time doing this, it is absolutely terrible for mental and physical health. I have played, doing the event, nearly 200 hours in the last 2 weeks. Averaging 13 hours of playtime per day. That is extremely unhealthy. And I didn't even get anything for all those hours of work.
The non-super rare rewards aren't very varied at all. There are 2 collectibles aside from the rare-the cookie and the christmas coal. It would be nice to have some other neat little rewards that you could get from the common loot table. And also, to spend all that time getting gifts, just to open it and get 8 skill gems or 16 coal it's just a terrible feeling. I'd say make them at least somewhat good, because you're pretty much spending 50k on 8 skill gems, or 30 minutes. I'd say instead, maybe give 16 coal blocks, 24 or 32 skill gems, a polar bear egg with a colored name, something a bit more worthwhile.
So basically the best way to complete the event is by not doing it. Well over half of the existing santa items came from sirk's drop party, and probably a good 75% of the santa items that have come from gifts have changed hands at least once. This just doesn't seem like the way events should be set up.
That's about it. Did I complain enough? : P
What would I change/like to see in future events?
I think that that the event would have been better if the rewards hadn't been luck-based. Maybe opening a gift could have given you a key, and that key would have a 50% chance of giving you a token, and still had room for the smaller rewards, or just cut the smaller rewards altogether, and just have the gifts give tokens. When you get a certain number of tokens, you could buy items out of a gui shop. This would pretty much be so that the people that grind for so long/get to a certain number of gifts have a guarantee of getting the super rare items. You could also put certain collectibles in the shop for less, maybe even have a thing to buy stuff like relic cores and dusty runes with tokens. I know this is the kind of events that the other server had, I just feel like it's so much better of a system than complete random luck. Sirk also said that he got many complaints that the Halloween event was "too short". I do agree with this, in part. I loved how creatively designed it was, it was more of an adventure than a grind, and I quite liked that, although I do agree that it didn't last near long enough. I think that there is a way to meet halfway with adventure and grind, like the 2017 summer event on the other server (sirk knows), for example, something like that would be way more fun, be like an adventure, and still be grindy. There is a lot of potential for server events, and although this one may not have worked out perfectly, I'm sure it will work out better for events in the future.
I'd also like to say that I know sirk worked really hard on this event, and I appreciate that there was even an event at all. Thank you :)

As a miner, the gifts gave variety to the monotony. Also, you could get gifts from doing non-job actions, like building, destroying grass, and other things you don't have the job for.
None of my other jobs, which are blacksmith and lumberjack, could really get me gifts. Even though lumberjack should be able to get me gifts, it didn't, which means it's either disabled or nerfed. I haven't heard of anyone else getting a gift from lumberjack. It seems the most common method is mining.
Like collector said, I think a token system would prevent situations like his. I got a santa chestplate on maybe my 10th gift, while collector did not receive any santa items. Realistically, I should have gotten 1 item, and collector 3-4. It's insane how he grinds lol. Also, I think the santa items should be more powerful, to reflect their rarity. However, they could just be designed as collector items and not functional items

Was fun. I was happily surprised when I just got a present from doing something I regularly do(Farming.) I got a lot of polar bears which I love(Although from the cook class made me sad :( poor polar bears). Overall the general idea was pretty cool and Im glad they went through the effort to put it all in and make it happen. Lots of appreciation for that. Made a lot of people more active which is always great. Overall it just kinda made me feel happy.

For one the 15k goal. I mean, I know they didn't have to, and I understand it was just kinda a "If you make it good job, if not well eh" but I kinda feel the event had very little goal wise unless you're Collector over there. The tools were subpar(Which I get not all tools can be OP, don't want to cause powercreep on the server) but I think their should've been cooler prizes and goals other than the firework bow.

Disclaimer: I get that not everything is always gonna make everyone happy, just my 2 cents. I still think the event was fun :D!

Honestly Idk. More goals would be cool, or a reason to like, bring people together to work on something. Overall I think the event was cool and a nice little thing to put into the server.
Goals We could've done for fun:
1k Gifts: Spawn will be snowy for another week
2k Gifts: Christmas Music will play in spawn for a little while
3k Gifts: Snowmen will be in spawn
Etc.
Just small achievable goals that are fun and weird.

Finn

Known Member
The fact that my third crate i opened was a santa tool, while you got none from a dub or so of gifts.
Hearing you complain ALL THE TIME about it calm yourself it is just a game.
More events based around RNG as I see them as fun and fair.

P.S After all it is random number generation which i see as the fairest way to do things.

Geekalik

Known Member
The one thing I liked about this event is how rare the gifts were; They were rare enough to have value on their own, but not so rare to the point to where I felt like it was pointless to even try (getting Easter eggs). As said by Collector_, the numbering of the gifts made it more interesting, like when everyone went into overdrive to get gift number 2019.
It seemed that you had either be extremely lucky (Finn) or spend way to much time grinding (almost collector) to get any of Santa's items. I think that rng is perfectly fine, but the chances seemed to low... or your chances of getting a "good" item should get more weight the longer it has been since you last got a "good" item. I dunno. something.
Not much... I don't know what to say so yeah.

Collector_

The fact that my third crate i opened was a santa tool, while you got none from a dub or so of gifts.
Hearing you complain ALL THE TIME about it calm yourself it is just a game.
More events based around RNG as I see them as fun and fair.

P.S After all it is random number generation which i see as the fairest way to do things.
I don't see how this is fair? The people that spend the time to get the gifts have a chance of not getting the super rare items. Yes, it makes sense, statistically, but fair is an entirely other thing. You contradicted yourself in that post, you said that you got a santa item in your 3rd crate, and I didn't get any from 200, and then litterally said that that was fair within 2 sentences. Does that seem fair to you? Did you work more than I did to get that gift? No, absolutely not. RNG based things like that can be very unfair, and often are. As I said in the post, statistically, most of the santa items would be gotten by people that don't work for it. This does, indeed make sense, however that is by no means fair.

What was the highest number we got to?
I think around 3800 or so

I forgot to bring this up in my post. I completely agree that this was not well-done. It was pretty obvious that there was no way to possibly hit the goal. I think that SirK should have actually made it an achievable goal that would only be possible if we worked really hard for it, but still not be too easy. Maybe 4000 or 4500? Maybe even 5000 would have almost been possible? But 15k there is just no way. Or just not have the goal at all. All it did was make everyone angry that the prize was so far out of reach.

Finn

Known Member
I don't see how this is fair? The people that spend the time to get the gifts have a chance of not getting the super rare items. Yes, it makes sense, statistically, but fair is an entirely other thing. You contradicted yourself in that post, you said that you got a santa item in your 3rd crate, and I didn't get any from 200, and then litterally said that that was fair within 2 sentences. Does that seem fair to you? Did you work more than I did to get that gift? No, absolutely not. RNG based things like that can be very unfair, and often are. As I said in the post, statistically, most of the santa items would be gotten by people that don't work for it. This does, indeed make sense, however that is by no means fair.

I think around 3800 or so

I forgot to bring this up in my post. I completely agree that this was not well-done. It was pretty obvious that there was no way to possibly hit the goal. I think that SirK should have actually made it an achievable goal that would only be possible if we worked really hard for it, but still not be too easy. Maybe 4000 or 4500? Maybe even 5000 would have almost been possible? But 15k there is just no way. Or just not have the goal at all. All it did was make everyone angry that the prize was so far out of reach.
Do you see any other way of making RNG more fair and from the way i see it you only got so triggered do to how much time you put into it.

Collector_

Do you see any other way of making RNG more fair and from the way i see it you only got so triggered do to how much time you put into it.
Yes, yes I do. By not using it. I know you have your logic of "everyone has equal chances of getting it" which almost makes sense, but if you put any thought into it whatsoever, you would see that the people that actually earned the rewards don't get them. I'm not saying just because I myself didn't get any santa items or bow, that it is unfair specifically because of that. I am saying that the people that don't work for the items, shouldn't deserve to get them, and the people that do should. It makes sense, really, that's the entire point of the event, is to earn your rewards, and that can't be accomplished with RNG. Sure, you have less of a chance if you put less work in, but the whole thing with luck makes it so that, although it usually works out, as I clearly demonstrated, that is totally unrealistic. There may as well be another way of earning it where you are guaranteed the reward if you work a certain amount. It just makes more sense. Your post has like no logic.

Yes, yes I do. By not using it. I know you have your logic of "everyone has equal chances of getting it" which almost makes sense, but if you put any thought into it whatsoever, you would see that the people that actually earned the rewards don't get them. I'm not saying just because I myself didn't get any santa items or bow, that it is unfair specifically because of that. I am saying that the people that don't work for the items, shouldn't deserve to get them, and the people that do should. It makes sense, really, that's the entire point of the event, is to earn your rewards, and that can't be accomplished with RNG. Sure, you have less of a chance if you put less work in, but the whole thing with luck makes it so that, although it usually works out, as I clearly demonstrated, that is totally unrealistic. There may as well be another way of earning it where you are guaranteed the reward if you work a certain amount. It just makes more sense. Your post has like no logic.
Going along what you said here. The RNG is never fair. Such as the vote crates for example. They are RNG based, but still, do not have fairness. The 6th crate I ever got from voting on this server, I was able to get a Relic Core (Which is 1% in votes) since then I have opened about 300+ vote crates, as I vote every day, and I haven't gotten even close to getting another relic core. The RNG is good in this case as you get vote crates for doing literally nothing besides vote.

The reason why RNG wasn't good for this event was that it created unfair odd for the people who actually farmed for crates and got nothing. I got lucky and obtained the firework bow on my 10th crate somewhere. but other people who didn't even farm and got a lucky crate obtained it after 1 present and never farmed again. Or the people who were online during Sirk's "Drop Party" were he unfairly dropped the event Items into a small crowd of people. I didn't even know this happened until I was told about it by another server user. It's unfair as he didn't even advertise the drop party, so it was more BS for people who were asleep or wasn't online. What could have been done to compensate the players who actually farmed for crates was by giving them better odd the more crates they earned themselves. So after the 5th crate, instead of 1% for the event item, maybe it's 1.1, and it goes up by .1 for each crate earned (not crates brought on Auc and such, only ones that say in chat that the person found it) This would help the people who farm for crates to have better odds, and for people who was lazy and just brought peoples crates on AUC or in /trade chat would still have low odds. This would have given more of an incentive to farm for crates instead of waiting for people to give or sell there's. and this would have also fixed the unfair RNG that plagued the event.