Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!
Maybe artist needs a bit off a buff? I know people used to hate artists and terra because it was a bit overpowered, but now i think artist is falling behind other jobs because of the furnace and recent crafting nerf.

At level 75 artist, I am paid $16.39 for each glazed terracotta. That ends up giving me $56,643.84. This sounds like good pay until you subtract how much artists pay for each dub of unglazed terra. Assuming that each dub is about 30k, that means at level 75 artist I am only making $26,643.84. This price is only when there is no competition for terra and the buy price is as low as people are willing to be paid for it.

At level 61 cook, I am being paid $9.89 per potato. This gives me $34,179.84 per dub. After buying a dub, I am paid $26,179.84 per dub. At level 61 cook, i am almost making more money than i would at level 75 artist.
At level 72 cook, you are paid $15.22 per potato. That gives you $52,600.32 per dub of cooked potatoes. However, if potatoes sell for about 8k (or less) per dub, then cooks make $44,600.32 per dub of cooked potatoes.

I am not saying that cook needs a nerf. I think the most recent crafting nerf is more than enough to keep cook job under control. Especially since cook takes a very long time to level to 75 in the first place.

However, because terracotta is more resource demanding than potatoes, I think terracotta should pay more than $56,643.84 per dub. It feels very unrewarding to be at the highest level of a job, and get paid less than another job at a lower level.

Volk

Administrator
Staff member
Your numbers are valid and I completely understand how this can feel like it's unequal. I'd just like to add the our player run economy is part of this pricing increase as terracotta blocks have multiple uses. Artists of course, then they can be used for aesthetic purposes. At the same time, terracotta prices jumped before the new resource world was generated due to scarcity. On the other hand, potatoes do not have much of a purpose for anything besides being a cook and are typically way to oversaturated within the market.

Do I feel that artist needs some adjustments, yes. But these are some of the reasons why the cost of obtaining them has increased dramatically.

I am interested to see more people's opinion on this and thank you for your suggestion Princess_!

Sincerely,
Volk_

Your numbers are valid and I completely understand how this can feel like it's unequal. I'd just like to add the our player run economy is part of this pricing increase as terracotta blocks have multiple uses. Artists of course, then they can be used for aesthetic purposes. At the same time, terracotta prices jumped before the new resource world was generated due to scarcity. On the other hand, potatoes do not have much of a purpose for anything besides being a cook and are typically way to oversaturated within the market.

Do I feel that artist needs some adjustments, yes. But these are some of the reasons why the cost of obtaining them has increased dramatically.

I am interested to see more people's opinion on this and thank you for your suggestion Princess_!

Sincerely,
Volk_
I see why the prices are higher for terra. Not only because potatoes are sustainable without a resource reset, but because terracotta cant be fortuned and almost always requires a high efficiency pick to gather efficiently. That's why I think that terra should pay more than potatoes do. If its more resource demanding, then it should be more rewarding than potatoes.

Also, I wish I could say that glazed terra is used for aesthetic purposes lol. The patterns arent very pretty (unless you use a resource pack) and it doesn't sell at all, so it doesn't have any practical use outside of smelting either.

Volk

Administrator
Staff member
You make a strong point princess_! I agree to that. I take advantage of the glazed ones with my custom texture pack and even though people cringe, I love it.

PawlerBear

i dont think it needs a buff at all. All artists focus on terra. none seem to think about the crafting aspect of artist, Paintings, banners and coloring wool or leather armor

i dont think it needs a buff at all. All artists focus on terra. none seem to think about the crafting aspect of artist, Paintings, banners and coloring wool or leather armor
I think its whack to say that no artists craft wool for money. Crafting was very good if you could find a hunter that actually grinds spiders. But with the most recent crafting nerf, I find it hard to believe that people will actively craft and dye wool for money anymore. Unless crafting payout is what gets buffed, I don't think the carpal tunnel is worth the money.

Also, I think it's fair to say that 99% of high level cooks focus on cooking instead of crafting as well. With the current price of materials, crafting is more for the EXP than it is for the money. Just the price of gold blocks for gapples is more than twice the payout for crafting them.

Last edited:

PawlerBear

I think its whack to say that no artists craft wool for money. Crafting was very good if you could find a hunter that actually grinds spiders. But with the most recent crafting nerf, I find it hard to believe that people will actively craft and dye wool for money anymore. Unless crafting payout is what gets buffed, I don't think the carpal tunnel is worth the money.

Also, I think it's fair to say that 99% of high level cooks focus on cooking instead of crafting as well. With the current price of materials, crafting is more for the EXP than it is for the money. Just the price of gold blocks for gapples is more than twice the payout for crafting them.
Yet you still only focus on one of the things an artist can craft.
there are a lot of herdsmen out there for both wool and leather, hunters for spiders and zombies. Its not getting sold tho because no one is buying.

Im both a cook and a hunter and i craft in my cooking job. and please stop complaining about carpal tunnel. If you dont want a job where you can craft then do something else. that excuse is getting old.

yeah...not to like dogpile in but complaining about carpal tunnel in a game with two controls (left click and right click) seems to be you have a problem with the game itself rather than any specific mechanics.

as far as the rest of the thread there are hunters who hunt spiders they would be more enthused to do so if artists were buying and advertising the way potatos are advertised for cooks

Yet you still only focus on one of the things an artist can craft.
there are a lot of herdsmen out there for both wool and leather, hunters for spiders and zombies. Its not getting sold tho because no one is buying.

Im both a cook and a hunter and i craft in my cooking job. and please stop complaining about carpal tunnel. If you dont want a job where you can craft then do something else. that excuse is getting old.
Im focusing on wool because it is the actual money maker for artists crafting. Wool is used for banners and paintings as well, so my argument about wool was meant to cover those too lol. Dying leather armor only gives 20 dollars per piece at level 75 and isn't worth the argument.

Maybe we disagree on the macro ban, but that is okay. Personally, I already have problems with wrist pains outside of minecraft, so not being able to use a 10 cps macro for bread or wool makes it impossible for me to craft at all.

I used to have a public spider grinder in my town for hunters who wanted to sell string. I advertised it constantly. I'd be lying if I said that nobody grinds spiders to sell the string, but there weren't very many who were. Mostly just new players looking for money to get started, which is fine, but people stop selling string once they get enough cash to move on to another job

This entire thread has gone off topic though lol. My whole point was that terra is much harder to gather and even more expensive to buy, but it still pays less than potatoes.

PawlerBear

Im focusing on wool because it is the actual money maker for artists crafting. Wool is used for banners and paintings as well, so my argument about wool was meant to cover those too lol. Dying leather armor only gives 20 dollars per piece at level 75 and isn't worth the argument.

Maybe we disagree on the macro ban, but that is okay. Personally, I already have problems with wrist pains outside of minecraft, so not being able to use a 10 cps macro for bread or wool makes it impossible for me to craft at all.

I used to have a public spider grinder in my town for hunters who wanted to sell string. I advertised it constantly. I'd be lying if I said that nobody grinds spiders to sell the string, but there weren't very many who were. Mostly just new players looking for money to get started, which is fine, but people stop selling string once they get enough cash to move on to another job

This entire thread has gone off topic though lol. My whole point was that terra is much harder to gather and even more expensive to buy, but it still pays less than potatoes.
The price for terra is what players have made it too be. Same as with apples, gold and fish. Its the players that drive up the price. Its not hard to gather. A good pick and you can mine cotta in an instant. Killian even made sure to add a huge mesa for this resource and as far as i can tell, its not even half gone.

The price for terra is what players have made it too be. Same as with apples, gold and fish. Its the players that drive up the price. Its not hard to gather. A good pick and you can mine cotta in an instant. Killian even made sure to add a huge mesa for this resource and as far as i can tell, its not even half gone.
Yes, I understand how player economy works.

Terracotta isnt necessarily hard to gather, but it is much more resource and time demanding than potatoes. You can only instant-mine terra if you invest in a high efficiency pick. Potatoes are always going to break instantly, and they are auto-replantable. You can also use fortune on potatoes with any tool, allowing farmers to collect multiple dubs of potatoes in less than 5 minutes. You cannot fortune terracotta, you can only use a pickaxe to gather it, and it takes at least 5 minutes to get one dub.

At level 75 artist, the most you can make off of 1 dub of terracotta is $56,643.84.
At level 75 cook, the most you can make off of 1 dub of potatoes is $59,166.72.

Considering that large quantities of potatoes are undeniably easier to obtain in a smaller amount of time, wouldn't it make sense for terracotta's pay to be at least equal to that of potatoes?

Yes, I understand how player economy works.

Terracotta isnt necessarily hard to gather, but it is much more resource and time demanding than potatoes. You can only instant-mine terra if you invest in a high efficiency pick. Potatoes are always going to break instantly, and they are auto-replantable. You can also use fortune on potatoes with any tool, allowing farmers to collect multiple dubs of potatoes in less than 5 minutes. You cannot fortune terracotta, you can only use a pickaxe to gather it, and it takes at least 5 minutes to get one dub.

At level 75 artist, the most you can make off of 1 dub of terracotta is $56,643.84.
At level 75 cook, the most you can make off of 1 dub of potatoes is $59,166.72.

Considering that large quantities of potatoes are undeniably easier to obtain in a smaller amount of time, wouldn't it make sense for terracotta's pay to be at least equal to that of potatoes?
You dont actually understand player based economy, How hard it is to get or make means nothing when people make it worth more/less than what it is, you're not factoring in many things with the whole cotta vs potatoes thing like say the XP give out is much more than potatoes, so i honestly don't think they should even be in potato price range,

BUT i dont think 30k is at all reasonable, but see this is where player based economics comes in its what people think its worth and what they put it at you cant ask for a buff for something the cant buff or nerf, it's almost like saying "Hey can you nerf how much people think this price of lip stick is" it's ridiculous, so please instead of complaining about something hardly changeable such as a mindset you will just have to move with the flow of the economy. Also if you buffed artist im sure cotta prices would only go up BTW it would only make sense.

artist crafts the terracota and cook cooks the taters. cook takes more time. you guys have it better

artist crafts the terracota and cook cooks the taters. cook takes more time. you guys have it better
Lol what? They get money from smelting not crafting. Nice one though.

Anyways, Jobs really don't need to be completely balanced. You're always gonna have people arguing over which job is the best and which makes the most money. Then you have others that do the job because it doesn't bore them to death. I like cook and farmer because for some stupid reason I find it slightly entertaining. Overall the jobs are pretty close(Enough) in strength that its not too noticeable. You're looking at it from "Costs A to make and Make B doing it so profit is C" where you aren't looking at time it takes to level up, what other things you need to do to level up(Buying wheat costs more than you get making bread) and such. I wouldn't worry too much about how much money is being made(Except for hellworker. Poor Hellworker.)